“Venture Forth runs the big cheese trip of the moment - a two-day descent of Grootkloof in the Matroosberg, down a spectacular and very narrow gorge.”
Men’s Health Magazine, SA
Groothoek Kloof Extreme Canyoneering
Forget everything you know about adventure, because this will change your perspective forever. We start at approximately 2000m, on the flanks of the mighty Matroosberg, and make our way down the Groothoek Canyon to come out two days later on the other side of the mountain range! 12 waterfall abseils, bums slides, pool swims, jumps and some of the most impressive mountain wilderness scenery you’re likely to see. Few have taken the challenge, none have regretted it!
Groothoek Kloof is situated in the rugged and majestic Hex River Mountains of the Western Cape. This magnificent and breathtaking canyon is accessed from the Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve and cuts a deep line through the ancient mountains snaking to an end just outside the town of De Doorns on the other side of the range.
This adventure of a lifetime involves much more than just spectacular canyoneering experience. It includes a trip on an old Army 4×4 Bedford Truck to 1920m above sea level, stopping along the way to sharpen our abseiling skills over some spectacular cliffs, 2 nights under the stars, excellent bush catering and a sense of being in unexplored terrain.
Depart from Cape Town and drive to Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve via the historical towns of Tulbagh and Ceres taking in the well-known Bain’s Kloof Pass. At the reserve we board a 4×4 Bedford Truck which will be our transport high up into the mountains. On our way up the mountain we will stop at some spectacularly exposed cliffs to spend some time perfecting abseil techniques and preparing for the great adventure ahead. We watch the sun set over the canyon and we end the day with a traditional South African braai (BBQ) before spending the night sleeping under the stars at the start of the canyon.
Day 2 (8 - 10 hours canyoning)
We get up early to prepare and have an early morning snack and coffee. At first light the action begins with a rugged scramble into the canyon and the first 50m abseil; from here there is no return and we must make it through the mountains and out to De Doorns. We start down a series of abseils over cliffs and down waterfalls and then follow the waterway to the campsite for the night. The night is spent under the stars.
Day 3 (10 - 12 hours canyoning)
Again we have an early start as it’s about an hours’ walk before we get into the narrow part of the gorge which kicks off with the most exciting abseils of the trip. We follow the waterway down making some bum slides and a low pool jump until the canyon opens up and we reach a trail on the side of the river. We follow the flat trail out to a hut. From here we hike to the vehicle which will take us back to Matroosberg for early evening.
Add-ons and Options for this adventure:
- The Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve offer some spectacular adventures including a 4×4 obstacle course, quad biking, abseiling and hiking. It is also the ideal place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and spend some quite time with Mother Nature and, maybe, a loved one. Speak to us about the options.
- After the trek we can continue on an adventurous tour of the Little Karoo and southern Cape coast. Activities can include caving, abseiling, quad-biking, paddling, ocean kayaking, bungy jumping, scuba diving, riding an Ostrich or cage diving with Crocodiles! Contact us for a proposed itinerary.
Numbers and Guide/Client ratio:
- We can accommodate up to 10 people per group.
- Each group will be accompanied by at least two guides.
- Minimum number of guests required: 5
Participants must be of at least average trekking fitness, healthy and able to carry a fully loaded backpack continuously for 2 days. You will need to carry some of the group equipment and your own food even on a catered trip. No previous experience is required.
Catering and Porters:
Participants can be self-sufficient or the trip can be fully catered. Porters are not available as an option on this trip.
You will require full overnight trekking equipment for mountain conditions and appropriate clothing. Tents are not required as we sleep under the stars, however a bivi bag or survival bag is highly recommended. Certain items can be hired from Venture Forth. Please download the Groothoek Kloof Packing List.
Transport ex-Cape Town return can be supplied by Venture Forth in an air conditioned minibus, or by overland truck, depending on group size and full itinerary. Alternatively you can meet us at the Matroosberg Reserve.
Recommended follow-up programs:
- A day at a spa! (or any other Soft Adventure)
- MDT Advanced Mountain Leader course
- MDT Abseil Supervisor Course
- Climb to the Roof of Africa and summit Kilimanjaro
- No, forget Kili, you survived Grootkloof! Summit Cerro Aconcagua, you’ll find it easy